Finding a quality tactical backpack is not easy. There are so many brands with amazing backpacks to choose from. But after trying out many explorer-grade backpacks, I can gladly say that the 5.11 tactical Covrt 18 pack is one of the best. Read this 5.11 Tactical Covrt 18 Backpack Review to know more about this bag.
The 5.11 tactical Covrt 18 backpack can be used as an EDC backpack, CCW bag, camping bag, bug out bag, hiking bag, or as a multipurpose backpack. Due to its low profile, no person will tell that you’re carrying a weapon such as a handgun or tactical knife in it.
Technical Specifications of the 5.11 Tactical Covrt 18 Backpack
The backpack is sturdily made of durable water resistant 500d nylon, which is also water-resistant. It as well features many compartments for storage of your laptop, gun, flashlight, and many other items. The pack is comfortable as it has adjustable straps will proper padding. Its sleek and simple design makes it a great bag for Covrt, and it is also lightweight.
Related article: Should you get a Maxpedition Falcon 2 Backpack for camping?
5.11 Tactical Covrt 18 Backpack Review
- 30-liter storage capacity
- Main compartment measures 19 x 12.25 x 6.5 inches
- The hydration pocket measures 19 x 12.25 inches
- The front pocket measures 11.5 x 9.5 x 3 inches
- Sturdy, water-resistant 500D nylon
- Quick Tact accessory straps
- Comfortable compression straps
- Yoke-style shoulder straps
- Adjustable sternum straps
- Padded internal laptop sleeve
- YKK zippers
- Ambidextrous side-entry TacTec system compartment
- Flip-down ID panel
- Reinforced grab handle
- Sunglass pocket
- Adjustable sternum strap Yoke style shoulder
- Roomy main and secondary storage areas
Features and benefits
The first thing that you should look for in a backpack is its construction. Tactical backpacks undergo tough conditions, and thus buying a poorly constructed bag is a waste of time and money. The 5.11 tactical Covrt 18 backpack is strongly constructed from 500D water-resistant nylon. Its durable construction material provides superior tactical utility to the users. This is a robust material that can withstand hard conditions. Besides, it comes with YKK zippers, and the rest of the hardware is made of Duraflex. Also, the price is affordable and lower than the Tactical 55L Rush 72 Backpack.
Moreover, the backpack has double stitched seams, which make it be even more durable. The only thing that I don’t like about this backpack is its MOLLE system. The MOLLE webbing on this pack is small. However, I also love that the nylon made to construct this nylon is pliable and firm. With a 30-liter capacity, this is a nice backpack for your daily errands or for outdoor activities such as hunting and hiking. The storage capacity is slightly higher than the RUSH12™ 2.0 tactical Backpack.
Before I landed on this backpack, I came across many tactical bags that were challenging to carry, especially when fully loaded to capacity. This is not the case with the convert18 backpack, as it is comfortable to carry all day long. The 5.11 Covrt 18 has yoke-style straps that are comfortable even when the bag is filled to capacity. In addition, it has an adjustable sternum strap and QuickTact accessory straps. The compression straps keep your things safe, while the thick padding on the shoulder strap ensures that you don’t feel pain.
For more comfort, the backpack comes with coarse nylon webbing in the back, which makes the bag to be breathable and comfortable to wear even in the scorching sunlight. There is a rubberized surface at the lower back, which also helps to keep the bag in place and prevents it from sliding as you walk or run.
Similar to other 5.11 tactical backpacks, the convrt18 bag also comes with a large storage capacity. The 30-liter backpack has a spacious main compartment with some pockets in it and secondary storage areas. Unlike Rush 12, 24, and 72, this one comes with a laptop sleeve for securing it in place. In addition, it has a sunglass pocket for storing sunglasses or things like a wallet or keys.
Related article: What is the Capacity of Direct Action Dragon Egg Backpack?
If you’re going hiking and need to carry some water, the pack has two side mesh pockets for carrying at least two water bottles. So, you will not be hydrated in the woods. Another key compartment is the concealed carry pocket. This is located in front of the main compartment with two full-size zippers. It also has an ambidextrous opening on the sides that allow you to access the gun from both sides. This pocket measures 14 x 2 x 10 inches. The CCW compartment allows you to hide a handgun without anyone noticing.
The 5.11 Covrt 18 backpack is definitely one of the best tactical backpacks on the market with such amazing features. It is inconspicuous, durable, lightweight, and very spacious. You can use it as an EDC backpack, for combat or for outdoor activities. So if you want a new backpack, then choose a Covert backpack that provides superior tactical utility.
- Durable construction
- Designed to appear subtle
- The backpack is very spacious with lots of compartments
- It is very convenient as it has a spot for a hydration bag
- It conceals a handgun very well
- The side mount water bottle pockets are huge and can carry more than two water bottles.
- It is water-resistant
- The backpack doesn’t draw attention even when used as an EDC backpack
- Comfortable to carry with the adjustable straps and padding
- Easy to access your gun with the ambidextrous side-entry compartment
- It has a reinforced grab handle for easy carrying of the bag
- The Velcro or loop panel in the CCW pocket is not well made as it makes pulling the gun to be difficult as the whole inside comes out when the handgun is pulled.
- At 30 liters, this is not a very spacious bag, especially if it is meant for the military or police officer who can be out for more than 3 days. But for daily use, it is fine.
- The fabric on the bottom of the backpack is thin and the same as the rest of the backpack. This will wear out quickly if you love packing the bag down on rough surfaces. For better longevity, you can use a Recycled Firefighter backpack which is durably constructed to defy anything.
If you have been looking for a sturdy and affordable concealed carry tactical pack, then the 5.11 tactical Covrt 18 backpack should be on top of your list. This bag is not only sturdily constructed, but it is also lightweight and won’t create much attention on the streets like most tactical backpacks. Besides, it is also well made and good-looking. There are various colors to choose from, and it depends on your taste.
Whether you just want to carry your laptop and textbooks or camping gear and a handgun for protection, the 5.11 Covrt pack will offer the comfort that you need as it has an ID panel Padded internal laptop sleeve. The bag has thick padding on the shoulder straps, a sternum strap, and adjustable straps. If you want to spend a few more bucks just to land the best CCW backpack, the 5.11 tactical Covrt18 bag is a great choice.
Question: Is this backpack bigger than the Rush 24 military bag?
Answer: No, it is not. The 5.11 tactical Covrt 18 backpack is quite smaller than the Rush 24 bag. It has a 3o-liter capacity, while the 5.11 Rush 24 tactical backpack has a 37-liter capacity. Additionally, the tactical Rush 24 backpack features several small and large compartments that the Convert 18 backpack doesn’t have. So, if you want a backpack that can carry lots of items, then the Rush 24 will be your choice. The convert 18 bag is ideal for concealed carry.
Question: Can I carry this bag with one strap over the shoulder?
Answer: Yes, you can. But you should wait for the bag to break in and not when it’s still new. Though, using one strap is quite challenging as you will have to constantly re-adjust it when it slides off your shoulder for a comfortable carry. Most people prefer using both straps as it is more comfortable and weight is evenly distributed.
Still, have a question after reading this 5.11 Tactical Covrt 18 Backpack Review? Comment below.